It's Sachin`s destiny to score 100th ton at Wankhede: Wadekar
Mumbai: Former India skipper Ajit Wadekar on Tuesday voiced confidence that Sachin Tendulkar will score his hundredth century at the Wankhede stadium, saying it was the batting maestro`s "destiny" to achieve the feat at his homeground.
"It is destiny that he was born and brought up in Mumbai. He is bound to make history at Mumbai," the 70-year-old, who represented India in 37 Tests and scored 2113 runs, said on the sidelines of an event here tonight.
"Among the trio, (Rahul) Dravid and Laxman have scored centuries (in the series), only he is left. He will score it in Mumbai," said Wadekar, who was attending a function to announce the launch of the Eknath Solkar Academy in memory of the former India cricketer.
India is playing against the West Indies in the third and last Test which began here today.
Wadekar also backed discarded off-spinner Harbhajan Singh to make a comeback in the Indian team.
"He has taken loads of wickets. It is just one of the things that happens to any cricketer. I`m sure he will make a big comeback. There is no doubt that R Ashwin has been bowling extremely well but I think you can have two off-spinners like I had in my team. There is no harm in that."
Meanwhile, Solkar`s son Brijesh said the Academy was a tribute to his late father.
"Family members and some close members have formed the Eknath Solkar Foundation, that has initiated the Academy project. This is the least we could do for him," he said.
Cricket legends B S Chandrashekhar, Gundappa Vishwanath, Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri were among those present for the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’