It's Sachin`s destiny to score 100th ton at Wankhede: Wadekar
Mumbai: Former India skipper Ajit Wadekar on Tuesday voiced confidence that Sachin Tendulkar will score his hundredth century at the Wankhede stadium, saying it was the batting maestro`s "destiny" to achieve the feat at his homeground.
"It is destiny that he was born and brought up in Mumbai. He is bound to make history at Mumbai," the 70-year-old, who represented India in 37 Tests and scored 2113 runs, said on the sidelines of an event here tonight.
"Among the trio, (Rahul) Dravid and Laxman have scored centuries (in the series), only he is left. He will score it in Mumbai," said Wadekar, who was attending a function to announce the launch of the Eknath Solkar Academy in memory of the former India cricketer.
India is playing against the West Indies in the third and last Test which began here today.
Wadekar also backed discarded off-spinner Harbhajan Singh to make a comeback in the Indian team.
"He has taken loads of wickets. It is just one of the things that happens to any cricketer. I`m sure he will make a big comeback. There is no doubt that R Ashwin has been bowling extremely well but I think you can have two off-spinners like I had in my team. There is no harm in that."
Meanwhile, Solkar`s son Brijesh said the Academy was a tribute to his late father.
"Family members and some close members have formed the Eknath Solkar Foundation, that has initiated the Academy project. This is the least we could do for him," he said.
Cricket legends B S Chandrashekhar, Gundappa Vishwanath, Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri were among those present for the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla