Jacques Kallis will be second only to Sachin Tendulkar in numbers: Rahul Dravid
New Delhi: Former India captain Rahul Dravid paid rich tributes to legendary South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis, terming him "second only to Sachin Tendulkar" as the Proteas great pushes for a fifth World Cup appearance in Australia and New Zealand, next year.
"I think he`s (Kallis) going to end up with some really record-breaking numbers. I think he`ll probably be second only to Tendulkar`s numbers overall if you look at it," Dravid said on "Modern Masters", a new video series on a cricket website.
"He seems pretty fit in spite of his workload. The fascinating thing is the number of injuries. He`s hardly had any major injuries considering he bats, he bowls. It`s almost unheard of and he looks like he can go on for a while," Dravid said about the 38-year-old, who is currently in Sri Lanka for the limited overs series.
The cricket aficionados were spoilt for choice during the last two decades due to some of the greatest batsmen like Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, who graced the game during the period. But Dravid feels that by "sheer weight of his runs" -- 13289 in Tests and 11574 in ODIs -- Kallis makes everyone sit up and take notice of his stupendous achievements.
"For the longest time, we`ve been spoilt with the quality of batsmanship with people like Tendulkar, Lara, and Ponting who have played in the same era as Kallis. In some ways he has had to earn this right of approval by sheer weight of runs, sheer consistency of performance and by building up a record that is second to none and is probably going to surpass a lot of these greats. He`s forced you to sit up and take notice," Dravid told Sanjay Manjrekar in the newly started video series.
A technician-par-excellence himself, Dravid also dissected Kallis` batting technique. "He has a little bit of an initial movement, a two-step movement. It is quite unique in some ways to South Africa. But the important thing to note is that even though he makes that initial movement or that initial shuffle of his, after that he is in a really good balanced position to go fully back or go forward as well when the ball is pitched (up).
"He has the ability to judge the line exceptionally well and leave well," said Dravid.
Having shared the dressing room with Kallis while playing for the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League, Dravid said he was impressed with Kallis` calm and composed nature.
"One of the things I noticed with Kallis, and I played with him for three years with RCB at the IPL, was just how calm and relaxed he is and how unflustered he gets irrespective of what`s happening around him. "Whether he`s scored runs or whether he`s failed, his behaviour or his mannerisms never change. Sometimes you think he has almost no emotion at all but that`s not the case. He`s just able to maintain that calm balance without going up and down too much," he revealed.
Dravid was clear in his assessment that South Africa will find it virtually impossible to find his suitable replacement. "I think he`s going to be even more respected and revered once he leaves, because then it`s going to be virtually impossible to find a replacement for that kind of cricketer who bats in your top four, bowls a very heavy ball, takes wickets, catches in the slips. He does it all! We`re going to start appreciating and recognising him a lot more once he leaves," said Dravid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'