Jadeja first Indian after Kumble to top ODI bowlers` list
Dubai: Left-arm spinner Ravindra Jadeja on Sunday became the first Indian bowler to top the bowlers` chart in the latest ICC ODI Player Rankings after former captain Anil Kumble claimed the pole position way back in 1996.
Jadeja, who took five wickets in five matches during India`s recently-concluded ODI tour of Zimbabwe, has leapt four places to join West Indies` off-spinner Sunil Narine on top of the list.
This is the first time Jadeja is heading the bowlers` chart.
Kumble had topped the table for 11 matches in November-December 1996. Overall, Jadeja is the fourth India bowler after Kapil Dev (March 1989), Maninder Singh (December 1987-November 1988) and Kumble to claim the number-one spot in ODIs.
The series against Zimbabwe also turned out to be a big one for India`s leg-spinner Amit Mishra, who has rocketed 47 places to 32nd spot after bagging a record 18 wickets.
The India team, meanwhile, consolidated its position as number one team in ICC ODI rankings. A 5-0 series win over Zimbabwe has helped it strengthen its position at the top.
Though the series sweep earned the Indian side just one ratings point to help it finish at 123, it now has a lead of nine ratings points over second ranked team, Australia.
In the batting table, however, both Virat Kohli and Mahendra Singh Dhoni have lost a position each to be placed at 4th and 7th spots, respectively.
Suresh Raina in 17th (up by one) and Shikhar Dhawan in 23rd (up by 16) have made progress in the list, which is still headed by South Africa`s Hashim Amla.
Sri Lanka`s Kumar Sangakkara has achieved a career-best rating of 829 points and has equalled his best-ever ranking of third after finishing as the highest run-getter in the ODI series against South Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Security at Olympics "robust", says IOC chief
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS