Jaffer`s 125 take Mumbai to 242-2 against Odisha in Ranji Trophy
Mumbai: Wasim Jaffer led from the front and cracked his 35th Ranji century to guide Mumbai to 242/2 on day one of their Ranji Trophy Group A clash against Odisha at the Wankhede Stadium here on Saturday.
The Mumbai captain remained unbeaten on 125 at stumps and his innings was laced with 11 fours and 3 sixes. This ton took his tally of first-class centuries to 51.
Electing to bat, the hosts lost both the openers in the first session and were reduced to 70/2 at lunch. With all-rounder Abhishek Nayar and fast bowler Akbar Khan ruled out with injuries for this game, Mumbai drafted in 42-year old leg spinner Pravin Tambe and Kshemal Waingankar.
Opener and wicket-keeper batsman Aditya Tare, who has been the leading run scorer for the side was caught behind for 16 runs, while Sushant Marathe made a slow 27 before being castled by Basant Mohanty.
Coming into bat at 33/1, Jaffer paced his innings well and later forged an unbeaten century stand with Hiken Shah to steer the team past 200 runs on the first day.
Mumbai targeted left-arm spinner Dhiraj Singh and milked 17 runs off his single over. The 35-year-old Jaffer was aggressor in the over with 13 runs.
The veteran was well supported by Shah, who added another half century to his kitty. He struck 8 fours in his unbeaten knock of 67.
Jaffer got a reprieve when he was dropped at 120 by Suryakant Pradhan off Biplab Samantray. Mumbai was then placed at 225.
Odisha`s mainstay bowler Basant Mohanty was the pick of the bowlers with 2 wickets for 33 runs. Mohanty, who got rid off both the openers, was the only one to have wickets to his credit. Deepak Behera and skipper Biplab Samantray supported him well but remained wicket less.
Mumbai 1st innings: 242 for 2 (Wasim Jaffer 125 not out; Hiken Shah 67 not out; Basant Mohanty 2 for 33.)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list