Jaffer steps down as Mumbai captain
Mumbai: Under pressure after Mumbai failed to clinch the Ranji Trophy title in the last two seasons, captain Wasim Jaffer stepped down from his post after a stint of four years at the helm but will be available as a player.
"Wasim Jaffer has stepped down from his position as the captain of Mumbai Ranji Trophy team after serving at the position for 4 years. He led the Mumbai team to 2 Ranji Trophy titles in the year 2008-09 and 2009-10," said Mumbai Cricket Association`s joint secretary and senior selection panel convernor Nitin Dalal.
"Jaffer continues to be available for selection in Mumbai team as a batsman. The new captain would be chosen by the selection panel, in all probability, next week," he added.
"Jaffer has written a letter that he wanted to concentrate on his batting. That`s the reason he has relinquished captaincy," according to the MCA official.
Dalal, however, denied that left-handed batsman Abhishek Nayar, who has played a few ODIs too, is the front runner to take up the position vacated by Jaffer who, during the course of Mumbai`s unsuccessful run this season, became the highest run-getter in the national championship.
"Nayar has denied that he talked to any newspaper reporter that he was ready to take up the job if offered. That was a wrong report," Dalal clarified.
Mumbai ran out of the steam this year to regain the trophy that they have won on 39 occasions at the semi-final stage when they were knocked out by eventual runners-up Tamil Nadu.
The previous season the oft-crowned champions bit the dust against Rajasthan who went on to win the title and retained it this season by overcoming TN away from home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees