Jaffer steps down as Mumbai captain
Mumbai: Under pressure after Mumbai failed to clinch the Ranji Trophy title in the last two seasons, captain Wasim Jaffer stepped down from his post after a stint of four years at the helm but will be available as a player.
"Wasim Jaffer has stepped down from his position as the captain of Mumbai Ranji Trophy team after serving at the position for 4 years. He led the Mumbai team to 2 Ranji Trophy titles in the year 2008-09 and 2009-10," said Mumbai Cricket Association`s joint secretary and senior selection panel convernor Nitin Dalal.
"Jaffer continues to be available for selection in Mumbai team as a batsman. The new captain would be chosen by the selection panel, in all probability, next week," he added.
"Jaffer has written a letter that he wanted to concentrate on his batting. That`s the reason he has relinquished captaincy," according to the MCA official.
Dalal, however, denied that left-handed batsman Abhishek Nayar, who has played a few ODIs too, is the front runner to take up the position vacated by Jaffer who, during the course of Mumbai`s unsuccessful run this season, became the highest run-getter in the national championship.
"Nayar has denied that he talked to any newspaper reporter that he was ready to take up the job if offered. That was a wrong report," Dalal clarified.
Mumbai ran out of the steam this year to regain the trophy that they have won on 39 occasions at the semi-final stage when they were knocked out by eventual runners-up Tamil Nadu.
The previous season the oft-crowned champions bit the dust against Rajasthan who went on to win the title and retained it this season by overcoming TN away from home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview