Jamaica pays homage to late cricketing greats
Kingston (Jamaica): Former Jamaica and West Indies cricketing greats, Alfred Valentine and Collie Smith, have been honoured for their contribution to the sport.
The upper eastern wing at Sabina Park was named the Alfred Valentine Wing, while the upper western wing was named the Collie Smith Wing, in tribute to the two late greats.
The tribute occurred during the Celkon Mobile Cup Tri-Nation one-day international match between West Indies and India at Sabina Park Sunday.
“It is a glowing honour for them,” declared president of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), Lyndel Wright.
“They have made significant contributions to Jamaica and the West Indies, and it is well deserved as they have represented our people well."
Valentine is the first bowler to take eight wickets in his first Test innings and the first West Indian to take a hundred Test wickets.
Smith was a hard-hitting batsman and off spin bowler who was rated highly in the West Indies.
For the first time, umpires were also recognised with the naming of an area at Sabina Park in their honour.
The Umpires` Room was renamed the Douglas Sang Hue Steve Bucknor Umpires` Room.
Sang Hue stood in 31 Tests between 1962 and 1981 and was regarded as the best umpire by many during his time.
"This is the first time they have honoured umpires in Jamaica and I think it is overdue for umpires to be recognised," 81-year-old Hue told The Gleaner.
"It is good not only for me, but for the umpires."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31