James Franklin backs Indian-origin spinner Jeetan Patel to make Windies Test tour
Wellington: New Zealand bowler James Franklin has backed Indian-origin spinner Jeetan Patel to be the second spinner in the national Test squad for the West Indies tour.
Selectors Mike Hesson and Bruce Edgar will pick two squads of 15- the team for three Tests in the Caribbean in June and an `A` squad for one-day and first-class matches in England.
According to Stuff.co.nz, Hesson had said that they would definitely choose two specialist spinners for the squad as they expect slow, turning pitches in Kingston, Port-of-Spain and Georgetown and Franklin backed Patel for the tour as he believes the bowler is the one of the best spinners in the country, as is evident in his first-class performance.
The Wellington captain also said that Patel`s form, particularly in the last couple of weeks, has been impressive in the one-day stuff, adding that his figures have been outstanding.
The report mentioned that Patel, who was a key man in Wellington`s one-day triumph, played the last of his 19 Tests against South Africa in January 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch