J&K all-rounder Rassol makes India `A` cut
New Delhi: Promising all-rounder from Jammu and Kashmir Parvez Rassol was today rewarded for his brilliant performance in this season`s Ranji Trophy after he was named in the 14-member India A squad for the practice game against England here on January 6.
Rassol finished on top of both batting and bowling charts for J&K with 594 runs, including two centuries, and 33 wickets.
Rassol, thus, became the first cricketer from the state to have got a call in the India `A` team.
Rassol was detained for questioning three years ago in Bangalore in connection with a suspected presence of explosives at the Chinnaswamy stadium ahead of a Champions League match. But he was given a clean chit a few days later.
"It`s the best news I have ever got. I was one of the better performers for my team in this season`s Ranji Trophy. I had produced good all-round performnaces. So, at the back of mind I was hopeful of making it to the India A team," an ecstatic Rassol told PTI after his selection.
"The fact that J&K`s performance in Ranji this year has been better has also helped my case. I have been playing first class cricket since 2008 but this has been my breakthrough year."
Apart from Rassol, another notable inclusion in the team is out-of-favour India pacer S Sreesanth, who last represented the senior team during India`s tour of England in 2011.
Sreesanth, who made a comeback to the Kerala Ranji team after spending more than a year recuperating from a toe-injury, has picked up 10 wickets from four games he has played this season.
The Abhinav Mukund-led side, however, doesn`t include any player from the sides that have qualified for the quarterfinals of the ongoing Ranji Trophy.
Madhya Pradesh seamer Ishwar Pandey, the top-wicket taker in Ranji Trophy this season, has also been rewarded for his good showing with the ball.
The first 50-over warm-up game will be played at the Palam Cricket Ground. England will also take on Delhi in their second warm-up game at Ferozshah Kotla ground on January 8 prior to the ODI series against India.
India and England will play a five-match ODI series, starting January 11 in Rajkot.
India `A` squad: Abhinav Mukund (C), Murali Vijay, Robin Bist, Kedar Jadhav, Ashok Menaria,
Rohit Motwani (Wk), Jalaj Saxena, Akshay Darekar, Ishwar Pandey, S Sreesanth, Rishi Dhawan,
Paras Dogra, Mohit Sharma, Rasool Parvez.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged