Jayasuriya heads Sri Lanka's new selection panel
Colombo: Sri Lanka has revamped its cricket selection panel with a new team under its new chairman, Sanath Jayasuriya, the country's Sports Ministry announced on Monday.
Jayasuriya, a former national captain and a current government parliamentarian, will have Hemantha Wickramaratne, Pramodaya Wickremasinghe, Chaminda Mendis and Eric Upashantha as co-members of the panel.
Wickramaratne, a former ODI player, is the only surviving member from the outgoing panel headed by former Test fast bowler Asantha de Mel.
Wickramasinghe was a member of the 1996 World Cup champion side alongside Jayasuriya.
They both come from the southern town of Matara.
Jayasuriya, whose batting was a key factor to the island nation's victory in 1996, was named the most valuable player of the tournament.
Mendis, who had figured in previous selection panels, was also an ODI player.
Upashantha, who has also appeared in ODIs, makes his selection panel debut.
The new selection panel is part of Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage's initiative to improve the country's international standing, particularly in Tests in which Sri Lanka is currently placed a lowly sixth.
Jayasuriya, who has been a ruling party legislator since 2010, still turns out for his club in domestic competitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song