Jayawardene says Lanka looking to create history by winning Boxing Day Test match
Sydney: Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene has said they are looking to create history by winning the second Test match against Australia in Melbourne on the Boxing Day, which would be their first win on the Aussie soil.
Sri Lanka`s best Test results in Australia have been two draws and nine defeats, including last week`s 137-run loss in the first Test in Hobart, the Age reports.
Jayawardene said the Hobart pitch was difficult for batting on day five but with spinner Rangana Herath expected to find more suitable conditions in the next two matches.
The captain said the players are in good spirits since they are aware of the healthy support they would get in Melbourne and Sydney by the Sri Lankan community, and added that this has given the team an extra bit of momentum.
Jayawardene added that winning a Test in this current three-match series would mean a lot, and it could inspire the new generation of Sri Lanka cricketers. Jayawardene also added the team``s imposing batting lineup is the key to their hopes of victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach