Jayawardene says Sri Lanka won’t risk Malinga’s career by playing him in Tests
Sydney: Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene has claimed they won’t risk fast bowler Lasith Malinga’s limited over career by playing him in the Test format despite former Australia quick Rodney Hogg branding touring team’s new ball attack ahead of the first Test match in Hobart as worst ever. Malinga bagged the second best T20 figures of all time in a major domestic tournament, 6-7, in the Melbourne Stars`` Big Bash league victory over Perth at the WACA on Wednesday, but Jayawardene is against any idea of the slinger playing in Tests.
“I think with the injuries he``s had in the last few years, it``s pretty unfair of us to ask him to come and play Test cricket. If he feels he is 100 per cent he``ll probably make that call by himself,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Jayawardene, as saying. “Every time he picks up wickets in a one-dayer or a T20, everyone seems to be putting their hand up and saying he should be playing Test cricket. But three or four years back, everyone thought his career was finished,” he added.
Malinga missed 18 months of cricket with the knee injury that eventually resulted in him quitting Tests in 2010 and his sheer pace will be missed by Sri Lanka in Australian conditions, but Jayawardene is happy just to have him in his limited overs sides.
“Do we risk all that by getting him to play Test cricket? Test cricket is about bowling 25 overs. We saw what Siddle did the other week - he bowled 60,” Jayawardene said. “Can Malinga do that? I don``t think so. I don``t think we need to make that call and risk his career,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly