Jesse Ryder assault accused appear in court
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Wellington: Two men accused of assaulting New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder appeared in a Christchurch court on Thursday.
A 37-year-old male has been charged with assaulting Ryder and with reckless disregard for safety of others. His 20-year-old nephew faces two charges of assault.
Both of them have been remanded until April 18 with the judge granting their lawyer’s name suppression request.
Their lawyer Jonathan Eaton dismissed the reports published in the media terming them as "wildly inaccurate and misleading" saying Ryder did not suffer a fractured skull and punctured lung in the assault.
Ryder returned home on Wednesday from hospital almost a week after he was assaulted by a group of men outside a bar which left the cricketer with critical head injuries.
Eaton claims that Ryder shared drinks with the two men accused of the assault in a "highly convivial" atmosphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug