Jesse Ryder assault accused appear in court
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Wellington: Two men accused of assaulting New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder appeared in a Christchurch court on Thursday.
A 37-year-old male has been charged with assaulting Ryder and with reckless disregard for safety of others. His 20-year-old nephew faces two charges of assault.
Both of them have been remanded until April 18 with the judge granting their lawyer’s name suppression request.
Their lawyer Jonathan Eaton dismissed the reports published in the media terming them as "wildly inaccurate and misleading" saying Ryder did not suffer a fractured skull and punctured lung in the assault.
Ryder returned home on Wednesday from hospital almost a week after he was assaulted by a group of men outside a bar which left the cricketer with critical head injuries.
Eaton claims that Ryder shared drinks with the two men accused of the assault in a "highly convivial" atmosphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death