Jesse Ryder assault accused appear in court
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Wellington: Two men accused of assaulting New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder appeared in a Christchurch court on Thursday.
A 37-year-old male has been charged with assaulting Ryder and with reckless disregard for safety of others. His 20-year-old nephew faces two charges of assault.
Both of them have been remanded until April 18 with the judge granting their lawyer’s name suppression request.
Their lawyer Jonathan Eaton dismissed the reports published in the media terming them as "wildly inaccurate and misleading" saying Ryder did not suffer a fractured skull and punctured lung in the assault.
Ryder returned home on Wednesday from hospital almost a week after he was assaulted by a group of men outside a bar which left the cricketer with critical head injuries.
Eaton claims that Ryder shared drinks with the two men accused of the assault in a "highly convivial" atmosphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?