Jesse Ryder to give up New Zealand contract
Wellington: The international future of troubled batsman Jesse Ryder is in doubt after he chose not to seek a new contract with New Zealand Cricket to concentrate on personal health and fitness goals.
New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said the decision not to take up a contract for the 2012-2013 season was made by Ryder in consultation with his management and the New Zealand Cricket Players` Association.
Ryder announced the decision on Wednesday when he met NZC officials as part of his annual player review.
White said "Jesse wants to concentrate on his personal goals without the media pressures, commercial pressures and other demands associated with being a contracted player."
Ryder`s current contract with New Zealand Cricket expires on August. 1.
The hard-hitting top-order batsmen hasn`t played international cricket since last season`s one-day series against South Africa. He was suspended for one match during that series for breaking team rules by drinking alcohol while injured.
That was the most recent of a number of off-field incidents which have affected Ryder`s international career. He was not considered for New Zealand`s forthcoming tour to the West Indies, though he took up a US$100,000 contract to play for the Pune Warriors in the Indian Premier League.
White said New Zealand Cricket would continue to support Ryder while he was off contract.
"All of the evidence shows that Jesse is on the right track, both on and off the field, but we`re aware that there are still steps to be made," White said. "While cricket remains an important part of his life, it is his health and well-being that need to be the primary focus."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next