Jesse Ryder was only punched once, claims defence lawyer
Sydney: New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder was punched only once and his injuries were not as serious as reported, a lawyer for one of the two men charged with assaulting him told a court.
Jonathan Eaton said Ryder was sharing a friendly drink with the accused before a dispute broke out, and the cricketer was injured as he fell to the ground ‘after being punched once’.
Police have said Ryder was rushed to hospital in a critical condition after the assault outside a bar in the South Island city of Christchurch a week ago.
The police added that Ryder was also put into an induced coma suffering from a fractured skull and internal injuries.
Eaton, however, said witness accounts that Ryder had been punched and kicked were ‘wildly inaccurate’ and he had not in fact suffered a fractured skull.
The two men, a 37-year-old and his 20-year-old nephew, appeared in the Christchurch District Court charged with assault and were bailed to re-appear in two weeks.
According to the report, Eaton told the court the men had been at a family dinner when the chance meeting with Ryder occurred.
He said the meeting started in a ‘highly convivial’ manner with drinks being shared but a dispute followed, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details