Jesse Ryder was only punched once, claims defence lawyer
Sydney: New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder was punched only once and his injuries were not as serious as reported, a lawyer for one of the two men charged with assaulting him told a court.
Jonathan Eaton said Ryder was sharing a friendly drink with the accused before a dispute broke out, and the cricketer was injured as he fell to the ground ‘after being punched once’.
Police have said Ryder was rushed to hospital in a critical condition after the assault outside a bar in the South Island city of Christchurch a week ago.
The police added that Ryder was also put into an induced coma suffering from a fractured skull and internal injuries.
Eaton, however, said witness accounts that Ryder had been punched and kicked were ‘wildly inaccurate’ and he had not in fact suffered a fractured skull.
The two men, a 37-year-old and his 20-year-old nephew, appeared in the Christchurch District Court charged with assault and were bailed to re-appear in two weeks.
According to the report, Eaton told the court the men had been at a family dinner when the chance meeting with Ryder occurred.
He said the meeting started in a ‘highly convivial’ manner with drinks being shared but a dispute followed, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India