John Buchanan leaves the post of New Zealand`s director of cricket
Wellington: New Zealand Cricket (NZC) announced on Friday that former Australian coach John Buchanan was leaving his post as director of cricket effective immediately, after just over two years in the job. "(He) is disappointed to be leaving NZC at this time, as he has enjoyed his work there," the organisation said in a brief statement. "However, due to family circumstances, he has decided to return to Australia."
Buchanan had reportedly been sidelined at NZC since late last year, when he supported Ross Taylor after coach Mike Hesson sacked the batsman as skipper in favour of Brendon McCullum.
He was appointed in May 2011 with a contract running through to the 2015 World Cup, with his role seen as providing "a consistent coaching philosophy" in New Zealand, while also overseeing talent identification and the selection panel.
However, the vague job description led to a tense relationship with former coach John Wright, who stepped down in May last year, and Wright`s successor Hesson.
NZC did not reveal if Buchanan would receive a payout for the remainder of his contract, saying employment agreements were strictly confidential.
"NZC respects John`s decision to return home and we wish him well for his future endeavours," it said.
Buchanan`s eight years at the helm of the Australian side coincided with a golden era for the Baggy Greens. From 1999-2007 they claimed three World Cups and won a record 16 consecutive Test victories.
In a separate statement, NZC confirmed head selector Kim Littlejohn, who was appointed by Buchanan, would not continue in the role after his contract expires in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared