Johnson’s ‘new’ contract only second term of two-year deal: CA
Sydney: Cricket Australia has clarified that Mitchell Johnson will simply be serving the second year of a two-year deal signed under the old regime after the fast bowler was handed a national team contract for 2012/13, raising eyebrows across the country.
Johnson, who was dogged by poor form before breaking down with a foot injury during Australia`s tour of South Africa last November, retained his place in Cricket Australia`s list of contracted players for the next year.
He did not play the entire summer and it was widely believed the emergence of young guns Patrick Cummins, Mitchell Starc and James Pattinson - on top of the form of Peter Siddle, Ryan Harris and Ben Hilfenhaus - would bring an end to the left-armer`s international career.
With Cricket Australia slashing its contracts from 25 to 17 under the new deal, chief selector John Inverarity said the West Australian would still have picked up a new contract if his deal had expired.
“Look I think he would have, yeah. We have very high expectations that he will come back and come back extremely well. His record is very good,” Inverarity told reporters.
Johnson was one of seven fast bowlers named on the contract list.
Inverarity said he had kept a close eye on the 30-year-old, who worked with the selector`s old WA teammate Dennis Lillee in his comeback.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why