London: Batsman Jonathan Trott has been called up by the second-string England Lions for their 2015 tour of South Africa, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Tuesday.
South Africa-born Trott, 33, has not played international cricket since he withdrew from England`s Ashes tour of Australia last November due to a stress-related condition.
He aborted an attempted playing comeback in April, but subsequently made a successful return to action with his English county Warwickshire, scoring four centuries during the 2014 season.
"Jonathan Trott`s exceptional form and run scoring exploits for Warwickshire at the end of the summer has resulted in his selection for the First Class fixtures at the beginning of the tour," said national selector James Whitaker in a statement on the ECB website.
The England Lions will tour South Africa in January and February, playing two four-day matches and five 50-over games against South Africa A. Trott will only play in the two first-class matches at the start of the tour.
Trott has lost his central contract with the ECB, but he said in September that he was ready to return to international action.
"Whatever comes along with regards to selection, maybe. I`m not putting too much pressure on myself," he told the BBC.
"There`s been some challenging times. Some tough times. But I`ve been available a while -- for the last month or two, I suppose -- in terms of selection, and I`m enjoying my cricket."
Trott has played 49 Tests, scoring 3,763 runs including nine hundreds at an average of 46.75.