Juneja misses out on 200 as second `Test` ends in a draw
Visakhapatnam: Manprit Juneja missed out on a well-deserved double hundred by only seven runs while New Zealand top-order got some much needed batting practise against India A bowlers as the second unofficial `Test` between the two sides predictably ended in a draw.
In reply to New Zealand A`s first innings score of 437, Indians finished their first innings seven runs short at 430. In the second innings, the Kiwis finished at 176 for three in 51.2 overs as the umpires decided to call off the match after taking consent of the two skippers.
In all 62.5 overs of play was held on the final day.
The honours were shared as both the Test matches failed to yield any positive outcome for either of the two teams.
The only interest in final day`s play was whether young Juneja (193, 362 balls, 20x4, 1x6) would get to score his second first-class double hundred but seamer Mark Gillespie (4/80 from 29.3 overs) dismissed him caught by Corey Anderson.
Resuming the day at 408 for seven, India added 22 more runs with Juneja scoring 15 off them.
But Gillespie used his slower delivery to good effect as Dhawal Kulkarni (10) was caught and bowled. Juneja was the next man out, while Imtiaz Ahmed was also castled by him as he finished with four wickets in the match.
With a result out of question, New Zealand A skipper Tom Latham (61, 100b, 7x4) put his head down to get some runs, which will help his confidence before the start of the List A series.
After Neil Broom (0) was trapped leg before by Kulkarni, Latham in company of Carl Cachopa (76, 139 balls, 13x4) added 128 runs for the second wicket and the contest was as good as over. Left-arm spinner Rakesh Dhurv (2/45) removed the two set batsmen in successive overs but it was too late in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand