Kallis, Steyn rested for ODI and T20 series vs Australia
Johannesburg: Premier batsman Hashim Amla will make his debut as national team captain both in the T20 and ODI formats when the Proteas start their series against visitors Australia next week.
All-rounder Jacques Kallis and pacer Dale Steyn have been left out of the side. Cricket South Africa`s (CSA) national selectors on Monday named the squads for both formats.
"With the ICC World Twenty20 less than a year away, we need to keep a solid core of experience around the side," commented CSA selection convener Andrew Hudson, "but at the same time we want to give younger players a run as well and this certainly applies in the case of Richard Levi and David Miller."
Richard Levi of the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras is the only new cap (in the T20 format) while David Miller of the Sunfoil Dolphins and Mark Boucher of the Cobras have been recalled.
Heino Kuhn of the Nashua Titans will keep wicket in the T20 format.
The inclusion of Boucher and Miller at the expense of Morne van Wyk of the Chevrolet Knights, Colin Ingram of the Chevrolet Warriors and the injured AB de Villiers of the Nashua Titans are the changes to the ODI squad that did duty at the 2011 edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup.
"We don`t have a lot of T20 International matches before the ICC event so it is important that we give the likes of Levi, Miller and Colin Ingram an extended run.
Heino Kuhn also gets an opportunity as a result of AB de Villiers` unfortunate injury.
"We have left Jacques Kallis and Dale Steyn out of the T20 squad as part of our rotation policy. Both players were keen to play but this is part of our rotation policy as selectors."
ODI squad: Hashim Amla (capt), Johan Botha, Mark Boucher JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Graeme Smith, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
T20 squad: Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Heino Kuhn, Richard Levi, David Miller, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Graeme Smith, Rusty Theron, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack