Karachi: After being axed from the Pakistan team, discarded wicket-keeper Kamran Akmal on Wednesday said that he would be meeting with the PCB officials to seek a clarification as to why he was dropped from the national side despite performing well in domestic cricket.
“There is so much being said about the spot-fixing scandal these days and my name is also being mentioned in it. I want to seek some clarification from the board on this,” he said.
“As far as I know I got a letter from the ICC saying I was clear to play for any team. I want to know why I am being ignored,” he added.
Kamran, who has played in 53 Tests and 123 ODIs for Pakistan, was dropped for the series against South Africa in the UAE and also sidelined for the tour to New Zealand by the selectors last week.
Chief selector Mohsin Khan has said that Kamran was not considered for the tour because the PCB had not given clearance to the selectors to pick him up.
Sources have said that Kamran is also in danger of being overlooked for the World Cup preliminary squad due to be announced later this month as the International Cricket Council has told the PCB it still has concerns about his role in the spot-fixing scandal.
“I plan to meet with Zakir Khan because playing in the World Cup is every player’s dream and I want to play in the mega-event and perform. It would be heartbreaking for me if I don’t get an opportunity to play in the World Cup,” Kamran said.
Kamran has scored heavily in domestic cricket and his exclusion for the New Zealand tour came as a surprise to many.
He also said that he had consulted his lawyers and planned to send a legal notice to bookie Mazhar Majeed this week for implicating him in the spot-fixing scandal.
“Either he has to produce evidence to substantiate his allegations or make a public apology,” Kamran added.
Mohsin on Wednesday admitted that the selectors were finding it difficult to finalise the preliminary squad for the World Cup without some of the senior players.
“But we will have to manage with the players we have been given clearance for but definitely it is not easy not knowing which senior player is available for consideration,” he said.
The national selectors are due to meet on December 15 to finalise the World Cup preliminary squad of 30 players and going by indications Kamran, Shoaib Malik, Rana Naved and Danish Kaneria will not be considered for the quadrennial event to be played in the sub-continent.