Kaneria given new date for appeal against life ban
Karachi: Pakistan`s Test leg-spinner, Danish Kaneria has finally been given a new date for his appeal against a life ban to be heard by the England and Wales Cricket Board.
The new date for the appeal hearing has been set for April 22 after Kaneria`s lawyers challenged the absence of key witness Mervyn Westfield, who stayed away from the original appeal hearing, held on December 10 in London.
Kaneria`s legal team has raised objections to the continued absence of Westfield from the appeal hearing for various reasons, pointing out his testimony before a crown court in London early last year, which led to the ECB disciplinary panel imposing a life ban on Kaneria from playing in England.
Kaneria, however, appealed against the ban after the ECB panel branded him as a "grave danger" to the game after finding him guilty of encouraging or attempting to encourage Westfield to underperform in an English county match in 2009.
Kaneria, who has also been suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) pending the outcome of the appeal hearing, was accused by Westfield of introducing him to a bookmaker.
Kaneria`s brother said in Karachi that the ECB had informed his lawyers that the appeal would now be heard on April 22.
"Indications are that the new appeal hearing date has been given after Westfield confirmed his appearance for the proceedings," Kaneria`s brother, Vicky, said.
Kaneria, who captured 261 wickets in 61 Tests, claimed his innocence after the Pakistan board had dropped him from the national team in September 2010.
"Danish is confident that when the appeal hearing is held in April his innocence will be proven to everyone," his brother said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory