Kaneria given new date for appeal against life ban
Karachi: Pakistan`s Test leg-spinner, Danish Kaneria has finally been given a new date for his appeal against a life ban to be heard by the England and Wales Cricket Board.
The new date for the appeal hearing has been set for April 22 after Kaneria`s lawyers challenged the absence of key witness Mervyn Westfield, who stayed away from the original appeal hearing, held on December 10 in London.
Kaneria`s legal team has raised objections to the continued absence of Westfield from the appeal hearing for various reasons, pointing out his testimony before a crown court in London early last year, which led to the ECB disciplinary panel imposing a life ban on Kaneria from playing in England.
Kaneria, however, appealed against the ban after the ECB panel branded him as a "grave danger" to the game after finding him guilty of encouraging or attempting to encourage Westfield to underperform in an English county match in 2009.
Kaneria, who has also been suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) pending the outcome of the appeal hearing, was accused by Westfield of introducing him to a bookmaker.
Kaneria`s brother said in Karachi that the ECB had informed his lawyers that the appeal would now be heard on April 22.
"Indications are that the new appeal hearing date has been given after Westfield confirmed his appearance for the proceedings," Kaneria`s brother, Vicky, said.
Kaneria, who captured 261 wickets in 61 Tests, claimed his innocence after the Pakistan board had dropped him from the national team in September 2010.
"Danish is confident that when the appeal hearing is held in April his innocence will be proven to everyone," his brother said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh