Kaneria hires legal team for ECB spot-fixing hearing
Karachi: Former Pakistan leg-spinner Danish Kaneria has hired a legal team for an English Cricket Board disciplinary hearing on a spot-fixing case that has landed his former Essex team-mate Mervyn Westfield in prison.
"Kaneria has hired three lawyers, two from the UK and one from Pakistan to represent him before the England and Wales Cricket Board," News 24 quoted Kaneria`s lawyer Farogh Naseem, as saying.
Naseem said Kaneria, who took 276 international wickets in 61 Tests and 18 one-day games for Pakistan, has denied the allegations.
"Kaneria pleads not guilty to the charges... and also objects to any sanction being inflicted on him," his lawyer said.
Kaneria`s legal team has also urged the ECB to delay the hearing until at least May 10 to give them time to study a 400-page evidence.
Westfield was jailed for four months in February 2012 after admitting that he accepted money to under-perform during a Pro40 match between Essex and Durham in 2009.
Kaneria was arrested along with him in 2010, but released without charge.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) had earlier said both Westfield and Kaneria would face a disciplinary hearing in May.
Kaneria, 31, faces a life ban from the game if found guilty at the hearing, where several Essex players are expected to give evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency