Kaneria vows to clear his name in spot-fixing scandal
Karachi: Under the cloud of spot-fixing controversy, Pakistan spinner Danish Kaneria has vowed to do everything in his control to get his name cleared in the scandal, which has led to the jail sentence of county bowler Mervyn Westfield.
Former Essex fast bowler Westfield was handed over a jail sentence of four months by a London court yesterday, after he admitted receiving ?6,000 (USD 9,200) to bowl badly so that 12 runs could be scored in the first over of a 40-over match between Durham and Essex in September 2009.
Westfield`s lawyer told the court that his Essex teammate Kaneria told him that a friend would pay him to cheat.
"I don`t want to say much now on this issue. But it is a incorrect terminology that I have been implicated by the court. In fact, the Essex police cleared me in this case after proper investigations," said Kaneria.
"I have told my lawyer in London to get the full judgment of the trial and pursue this matter. I will not rest until I am cleared to play for Pakistan again," he added.
The leg-spinner`s brother Vicky told PTI that they would be approaching the integrity committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to clear Kaneria`s name.
"Now that this trial is over, whatever evidence or documents the integrity committee wants we are ready to procure it and submit it to them," Vicky said.
He also said that because of the trial and legal process in United Kingdom, they were unable to submit some documents and tapes to the integrity committee, which could prove Kaneria`s innocence.
"But now we can get all material from the court and we want this matter cleared by the integrity committee as soon as possible," Vicky insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi