Kaneria vows to clear his name in spot-fixing scandal
Karachi: Under the cloud of spot-fixing controversy, Pakistan spinner Danish Kaneria has vowed to do everything in his control to get his name cleared in the scandal, which has led to the jail sentence of county bowler Mervyn Westfield.
Former Essex fast bowler Westfield was handed over a jail sentence of four months by a London court yesterday, after he admitted receiving ?6,000 (USD 9,200) to bowl badly so that 12 runs could be scored in the first over of a 40-over match between Durham and Essex in September 2009.
Westfield`s lawyer told the court that his Essex teammate Kaneria told him that a friend would pay him to cheat.
"I don`t want to say much now on this issue. But it is a incorrect terminology that I have been implicated by the court. In fact, the Essex police cleared me in this case after proper investigations," said Kaneria.
"I have told my lawyer in London to get the full judgment of the trial and pursue this matter. I will not rest until I am cleared to play for Pakistan again," he added.
The leg-spinner`s brother Vicky told PTI that they would be approaching the integrity committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to clear Kaneria`s name.
"Now that this trial is over, whatever evidence or documents the integrity committee wants we are ready to procure it and submit it to them," Vicky said.
He also said that because of the trial and legal process in United Kingdom, they were unable to submit some documents and tapes to the integrity committee, which could prove Kaneria`s innocence.
"But now we can get all material from the court and we want this matter cleared by the integrity committee as soon as possible," Vicky insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened