Kaneria wants open appeal against ECB life ban for fixing verdict
Karachi: Pakistan leg-spinner Danish Kaneria has called for an appeal against a life ban imposed on him by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), for a fair trial.
Kaneria was last week found guilty on two charges of corruption in relation to the Mervyn Westfield spot-fixing case, but denies any involvement, claiming that he has been made a scapegoat, reports a source.
Kaneria will face the end of his career in cricket if the ban is upheld. He is allowed a 14-day period to lodge an appeal after he receives the ECB`s final judgement.
"We`re going to have an appeal. What we want is an independent observer to sit in and listen to the evidence. What we want is a fair hearing in front of an independent panel," said Steven Hourigan, who represented Kaneria at the ECB tribunal.
The ECB disciplinary panel, in the written summary of their findings concluded that Westfield, despite inconsistencies in his evidence, ``was plainly telling the truth``.
Kaneria, who is Pakistan`s fourth-highest wicket-taker in Tests, has previously called the verdict against him ``unfair``, based on Westfield`s word against his, and Hourigan suggested that it was in the ECB`s interests to pin the blame on someone from outside the domestic game in England.
"It has been suggested that what the ECB wanted to do and needed to do was, in order to present English cricket as being clean, that this one incident of corruption was caused by a foreign player coming to the UK and corrupting a young, English player," he said.
"The fact Danish was an outsider and from Pakistan is easily believed and therefore he must be corrupt. If we had had a fair hearing, that wouldn`t have been the result," he added.
Kaneria maintained that the case against him was motivated by Westfield`s desire to minimise his own involvement in fixing.
"He wanted to reduce his sentence...he is ruining my career to reduce his sentence," Kaneria said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo