Kapil, Azhar back Sachin, say he should decide when to quit
New Delhi: Former Indian captains Kapil Dev and Mohammed Azharuddin on Friday backed Sachin Tendulkar, who is under pressure to call time on his illustrious career, saying that he should decide when he wants to retire.
After his failure in the recent New Zealand Test series in which he was bowled three times in a row, there has been a debate whether Tendulkar should retire now.
However, Tendulkar does not have retirement in mind as he has said he would retire only when he stops enjoying playing the game.
"Honestly, I wanted him to retire after the World Cup win. But the need of the hour is that I will stand by him. I want to back him and want him to go with a big smile," Kapil, the first World Cup wining captain, said.
"It is tough to leave a game you love. It was tough for me as well. And he has got so much in the last 23 years. So. it`s wrong for us to discuss (retirement)," Kapil said.
Azharuddin, one of the most successful Indian captains, suggested Tendulkar to play more matches to rediscover his form.
"I have found that he has become a little slow. Reflexes go slow with age and pressure. It`s been 23 years now and it takes a toll. Everyone is talking about Virat Kohli. He is doing well because he has played so many matches. Sachin played the two Test matches (against New Zealand) after three months. I think he needs to play more.
"Now that he wants to continue playing, he should play more matches. And when he goes, he should go with a smile, everyone should know it before and then celebrate that game," Azhar said at `India Today Youth Summit` here.
However, Kapil took a jibe at Tendulkar for not expressing himself clearly as he hardly gives opinions.
"I have not seen a better sportsperson that India has produced. But in his 23 years as a player, I still don`t know him. That`s the problem. We must know his opinion," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre