Kapil Dev likely to apply for BCCI amnesty
New Delhi: After granting amnesty to Kiran More, the BCCI in all likelihood will soon be granting amnesty to Kapil Dev and welcome him back in the official fold as the former Indian captain is all set to write to the cricket board on this issue.
It is learnt that BCCI president N Srinivasan has taken personal initiative in bringing the 1983 World Cup winning captain back in the BCCI fold. Kapil has finally relented on applying for amnesty after "fruitful discussions with the BCCI president."
"Although this was not on the agenda, the president (Srinivasan) informed the members that there has been fruitful discussions with Kapil Dev and the latter has agreed to seek amnesty. The formalities will be worked out soon," a senior working committee member preferring anonymity said.
Kapil, who joined as the chairman of the executive board of Indian Cricket League back in 2007, has never sought amnesty from the BCCI but he has been invited for some of the functions organised by Cricket Board lately.
"The content of the application letter will be such that it doesn`t hurt the dignity of a player of Kapil`s stature but also at the same time maintain BCCI`s position of being the parent body and guardian of the game in the country," the official further added.
If Kapil gets amnesty, he will be entitled to Rs 1 crore as a part of BCCI`s one-time benefit scheme and he will also start receiving pension once again. His arrears will also be cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Sri Lanka vs Australia: Thisara Perera penalised, Mitchell Starc reprimanded for ICC code of conduct breaches
- UEFA Champions League 2016-17 draw; Player of the Year award ceremony — As it happened...
- Kannada actress Ramya attacked with eggs in Mangaluru over 'pro-Pak remarks'
- AFC Ajax keeper Jasper Cillessen joins Barcelona
- Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions!