Karnataka enjoy run feast as UP fail to advance
Shimoga: Karnataka skipper Ganesh Satish (190), Stuart Binny (189) and Amit Verma (102) made merry at the JNNRC grounds on Saturday as Uttar Pradesh failed to advance to the knockout stage of the Elite division Ranji Trophy.
Resuming at their overnight 158 for two, Karnataka, riding on two significant partnerships, ran up a mammoth second innings total of 561 for five.
Though Uttar Prtadesh earned three points for clinching the first-innings lead, they failed to qualify from Group A.
Mumbai, Karnataka and Rajasthan made it to the knockout stage from the group.
Satish was cog around which the Karnataka second innings revolved. Accused of not converting good starts in the previous matches, Satish played himself into form, batting close to nine hours while consuming 367 deliveries. Satish raised 179 runs (221 minutes) with Verma for the third wicket. His association with Stuart Binny produced a rollicking 253 runs (198 minutes, 287 balls). A double hundred could well have been his, but Imtiyaz Ahmed lured him into nicking to Amir.
Binny mulched runs at ease to carve his third century of the season, taking his match aggregate to 285 runs, including an enterprising 94 in the first eassay. He smashed 24 boundaries and five sixes during his 161-ball vigil at the crease.
C M Gautam also joined the Christmas eve party, scoring an unbeaten 30. R P Singh and Imtiyaz Ahmed shared four wickets between them.
Karnataka: 314 and 561/5 (Ganesh Satish 190, Stuart Binny 189, Amit Verma 102;
Uttar Pradesh Ist innings: 419 all out in 116.4 overs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh