Karnataka has advantage over Rest of India: Vinay Kumar
Bangalore: Karnataka captain R Vinay Kumar on Saturday said his side has an advantage over Rest of India in the Irani Cup as it has been been playing as an unit, unlike their opponents who have come together to play this one-off match.
"Rest of India is a good side. But we have a big advantage that we have been playing as a team throughout the season, whereas they have only come together now from different states," Vinay told reporters here on the eve of their Irani Trophy match.
"They will need time to gel as a group. That is when we can take advantage. We have played as a family. No matter how good those players are, it will not be easy coming from different states and playing now. We have not lost a single game and our confidence is high," he added.
Vinay, who led Karnataka to their seventh Ranji Trophy title this season, said if his team could keep it simple, it would stand a better chance to perform well.
"We are not thinking it is Irani Cup. We are treating it as another normal game. If you keep it simple there is a better chance of doing well," he said.
On pacer H S Sharath`s fitness, Vinay said, "At present, he is playing. We will have to see tomorrow morning."
Talking about preparations for the match, Vinay said Karnataka had few sessions after their off days following their victory in the Ranji Trophy. "We took a few days off because everyone had given their 100 per cent. On a wicket like those, the fast bowlers had worked very hard.
"All the players are eager to perform here because there is a greater chance of getting noticed," Vinay said.
On IPL auction, Vinay said the players were not thinking much about it and their "main goal is to play for India".
Asked if his players were eyeing the national selection, Vinay said the youngsters might be thinking about it but it would the senior players` job to keep these things out of their minds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM