Karnataka in command against UP
Shimoga: Despite conceding a 105-run first innings lead, Karnataka managed to bounce back in their second innings to virtually deprive Uttar Pradesh an outright win on day three of the Elite Division Ranji Trophy match here today.
Resuming at their overnight total of 276 for six, Uttar Pradesh, riding on Mohammed Kaif`s 152 and a gutsy 67 by Amir Khan, made 419 in their first innings at the JNNRC grounds.
Kaif and Khan knit together 108 runs for the eighth wicket to put UP in the driver`s seat.
Off spinner Sunil Raju (3 for 43) and N C Aiyappa (3 for 92) shared the bowling spoils for Karnataka.
In their second essay, Karnataka lost Bharat Chipli (4), who opened in place of an injured Robin Uthappa, early.
But K B Pawan (34), Ganesh Satish (batting 70) and Amit Verma (batting 46) batted with aplomb to take their side to 158 for two.
In effect, Karnataka who have already qualified for the quarter-finals, are 53 runs ahead with eight wickets in hand.
It will take an outstanding team effort if Uttar Pradesh still fancy their chances of qualifying for the knockout stage by scoring a victory in the remaining three sessions of play.
Skipper Ganesh Satish and Verma have already produced 91 runs for the unbroken third wicket.
Considering that Karnataka bat deep, it will be an uphill task for the visitors.
Karnataka: 314 & 158 for two (Ganesh Satish batting 70; RP Singh 1/22).
UP 1st innings: 419 (Mohd Kaif 152, Amir Khan not out 67).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Prince 'diagnosed with AIDS' months before his death?
- Seer Trikal Bhavanta, who threatened to take 'samadhi' during Simhastha Kumbh, arrested
- VIDEO: That's huge! Watch 11 biggest sixes in Indian Premier League history ever
- Uttarakhand political crisis: BJP offered Rs 50 crore, party tickets and RS seats to Congress MLAs?
- Supreme Court reserves order on conduct of NEET or AIPMT for medical colleges' admission