Karnataka in command against UP
Shimoga: Despite conceding a 105-run first innings lead, Karnataka managed to bounce back in their second innings to virtually deprive Uttar Pradesh an outright win on day three of the Elite Division Ranji Trophy match here today.
Resuming at their overnight total of 276 for six, Uttar Pradesh, riding on Mohammed Kaif`s 152 and a gutsy 67 by Amir Khan, made 419 in their first innings at the JNNRC grounds.
Kaif and Khan knit together 108 runs for the eighth wicket to put UP in the driver`s seat.
Off spinner Sunil Raju (3 for 43) and N C Aiyappa (3 for 92) shared the bowling spoils for Karnataka.
In their second essay, Karnataka lost Bharat Chipli (4), who opened in place of an injured Robin Uthappa, early.
But K B Pawan (34), Ganesh Satish (batting 70) and Amit Verma (batting 46) batted with aplomb to take their side to 158 for two.
In effect, Karnataka who have already qualified for the quarter-finals, are 53 runs ahead with eight wickets in hand.
It will take an outstanding team effort if Uttar Pradesh still fancy their chances of qualifying for the knockout stage by scoring a victory in the remaining three sessions of play.
Skipper Ganesh Satish and Verma have already produced 91 runs for the unbroken third wicket.
Considering that Karnataka bat deep, it will be an uphill task for the visitors.
Karnataka: 314 & 158 for two (Ganesh Satish batting 70; RP Singh 1/22).
UP 1st innings: 419 (Mohd Kaif 152, Amir Khan not out 67).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes