Karnataka in command against UP
Shimoga: Despite conceding a 105-run first innings lead, Karnataka managed to bounce back in their second innings to virtually deprive Uttar Pradesh an outright win on day three of the Elite Division Ranji Trophy match here today.
Resuming at their overnight total of 276 for six, Uttar Pradesh, riding on Mohammed Kaif`s 152 and a gutsy 67 by Amir Khan, made 419 in their first innings at the JNNRC grounds.
Kaif and Khan knit together 108 runs for the eighth wicket to put UP in the driver`s seat.
Off spinner Sunil Raju (3 for 43) and N C Aiyappa (3 for 92) shared the bowling spoils for Karnataka.
In their second essay, Karnataka lost Bharat Chipli (4), who opened in place of an injured Robin Uthappa, early.
But K B Pawan (34), Ganesh Satish (batting 70) and Amit Verma (batting 46) batted with aplomb to take their side to 158 for two.
In effect, Karnataka who have already qualified for the quarter-finals, are 53 runs ahead with eight wickets in hand.
It will take an outstanding team effort if Uttar Pradesh still fancy their chances of qualifying for the knockout stage by scoring a victory in the remaining three sessions of play.
Skipper Ganesh Satish and Verma have already produced 91 runs for the unbroken third wicket.
Considering that Karnataka bat deep, it will be an uphill task for the visitors.
Karnataka: 314 & 158 for two (Ganesh Satish batting 70; RP Singh 1/22).
UP 1st innings: 419 (Mohd Kaif 152, Amir Khan not out 67).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Cases against Baloch leaders-in-exile highlight Pakistan's frustration: BJP
- BSP leader Brajesh Pathak joins BJP
- Piaggio launches Aprilia SR 150 in India priced at Rs 65,000
- Family of killed Dalit youths, who died in 2012 Gujarat police firing, demand CBI probe
- Won't camouflage baby bump on screen: Kareena