Karnataka slide to defeat from jaws of victory
Mumbai: Yusuf Pathan smashed a 5-ball 21 with two sixes and two fours in the super over off Karnataka medium pacer Abhimanyu Mithun to power Baroda into the quarter-finals of Syed Mushtaq Ali Twenty20 tournament at the Brabourne Stadium on Friday.
Pathan`s heroics, that enabled Baroda to rattle up 22 runs in six balls. They then restricted the rivals to a mere seven in reply in the super over battle.
Baroda recovered brilliantly through some lusty late order hitting by Murtuza Vahora (45 not out in 21 balls) which brought them on level terms with Karnataka`s imposing score of 167 for 6.
Baroda looked down in the dumps at 103 for 7 in the 14th over of the pre-quarter final tie following the fall of top-scorer Aditya Waghmode, who hit 50 in 32 balls with eight fours, before Vahora used the long handle to good effect to level the scores.
Karnataka paid for some sloppy bowling, particularly by Mithun who conceded 11 runs in the last over of the Baroda innings with Vahora slamming him for a six off a short ball, and a mis-field off the last ball by the team`s top scorer Bharat Chipli.
Chipli, who anchored the Karnataka innings with a 43-ball 60 with a six and 10 fours, was guilty of conceding an extra run off the last ball when Baroda needed three for a win with the last wicket pair at the crease.
With the scores level, the super over was resorted to and Mithun, who was with the Indian Test team in Australia, bowled poorly and allowed Pathan - with Ambati Rayudu as partner – to smack him for easy runs to the straight field for two sixes and towards extra cover for as many fours.
Yusuf, a member of the Indian squad which is going to South Africa for a one-off T20 international on March 30, had flopped earlier in the Baroda innings before coming good at the right time in the super over.
Baroda then used Vahora to bowl the return over and choke the Karnataka pair of skipper Robin Uthappa and Chipli.
Chipli got out off the first ball he faced in the super over while Uthappa could not pierce the field and Karnataka ended up with seven runs, to be knocked out of the tournament.
Baroda will take on Bengal in the quarter-finals on March 25 at the Mumbai Cricket Association`s BKC ground.
Brief scores: Karnataka 167 for 6 in 20 overs (R Uthappa 21, B Chipli 60, S Binny 35; B Bhatt 2 for 39, A Karambelkar 3 for 31). Baroda 167 for 9 in 20 overs (A Waghmode 50, M Vahora 45 not out).
Super over: Baroda 22 (Yusuf Pathan 21 not out), Karnataka 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...