Karnataka take first innings lead in drawn tie against Mumbai
Mumbai: Abhishek Nayar was left stranded on 191 as Karnataka dismissed Mumbai for 441 to take a huge 194-run first innings lead and earn three points from their drawn Ranji Trophy Elite Group A match on Sunday.
Mumbai resumed at 354 for eight and only interest left in the match was if the they could avoid the follow on.
Mumbai fell short of the target by 43 runs even as Nayar and Ankit Chavan (32) put up a fighting 86-run stand for the last wicket.
Left-handed batsman Nayar, who was retired hurt on 137 yestreday and resumed his innings today, had a marathon stay of 418 minutes at the crease. In all he faced 302 balls and struck 24 fours and a six.
Nayar, who had made a double ton in Mumbai`s previous match against Rajasthan at the same Brabourne Stadium, missed out on another double century when Chavan was sent back by part-time bowler Ganesh Satish.
He had lost his ninth wicket partner, Onkar Gurav, in the third over of the morning before forging the defiant stand with Chavan.
However, with there being little chance of the Karnataka bowling out Mumbabi on a near-perfect batting track, the visitors did not enforce the follow on.
Karnataka then made 147 for three in their second essay before the match was called off as a draw.
Karnataka now have 12 points and are sitting atop the group while Mumbai, who got one point from the draw, took their tally to 10 from three ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video