Karnataka take first innings lead in drawn tie against Mumbai
Mumbai: Abhishek Nayar was left stranded on 191 as Karnataka dismissed Mumbai for 441 to take a huge 194-run first innings lead and earn three points from their drawn Ranji Trophy Elite Group A match on Sunday.
Mumbai resumed at 354 for eight and only interest left in the match was if the they could avoid the follow on.
Mumbai fell short of the target by 43 runs even as Nayar and Ankit Chavan (32) put up a fighting 86-run stand for the last wicket.
Left-handed batsman Nayar, who was retired hurt on 137 yestreday and resumed his innings today, had a marathon stay of 418 minutes at the crease. In all he faced 302 balls and struck 24 fours and a six.
Nayar, who had made a double ton in Mumbai`s previous match against Rajasthan at the same Brabourne Stadium, missed out on another double century when Chavan was sent back by part-time bowler Ganesh Satish.
He had lost his ninth wicket partner, Onkar Gurav, in the third over of the morning before forging the defiant stand with Chavan.
However, with there being little chance of the Karnataka bowling out Mumbabi on a near-perfect batting track, the visitors did not enforce the follow on.
Karnataka then made 147 for three in their second essay before the match was called off as a draw.
Karnataka now have 12 points and are sitting atop the group while Mumbai, who got one point from the draw, took their tally to 10 from three ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt