Katich should have punched Clarke on face: Matthews
Melbourne: Former Australia Test spinner Greg Matthews feels that discarded batsman Simon Katich should have punched current skipper Michael Clarke on the face during their infamous dressing-room showdown in 2009.
Katich and Clarke had an ugly showdown in 2009 when the former had grabbed the latter by the throat in a dispute over when the team song should be sung after Australia`s win over South Africa.
"Can anyone truly, and I don`t care if the press are here or not, can anyone just truly say to me what did he get wrong? One thing he got wrong was that he did not put one on Clarke when he should have," Matthews was quoted as saying by Foxsports.
"If a guy speaks his mind, wouldn`t you rather hear what`s really going on in there, the way it really was?
"Who would you rather go into war with? This cat (Katich) or Clarke? Or Andrew Symonds for that matter? Everyone forgets about Andrew Symonds getting flicked as well. Truth doesn`t happen in this game anymore," he added.
Matthews said Australia would have fared better under Katich`s leadership.
"Pick this guy (Katich) as captain, get (Tim) Paine in as vice-captain I tell you what, we`d be doing a lot better than how we`re doing today," he said.
The 36-year-old Katich is currently facing a Cricket Australia disciplinary hearing over his claim that Clarke was behind his Test sacking. He faces a fine of up to 5,750 dollars or suspension.
Katich has hired a noted sports lawyer Darren Kane to spearhead his defence at the CA disciplinary hearing on November 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack