Katich was one of Australia`s best: Waugh
Melbourne: Former Australian opening batsman Mark Waugh has paid rich tributes to Simon Katich, who Tuesday announced his retirement from first class cricket, saying he should be remembered as one of Australian cricket`s best.
"He`s got a very good record both at first-class and Test level at the top of the order, so he should be remembered as one of our best players," Waugh was quoted as saying in a leading daily.
"He was definitely unlucky. I don`t think he should have got dropped. His record was better than a few of the guys that were in that team ahead of him.
"I think it was his age and maybe because he`s unfashionable, maybe that`s the reason he did get dropped."
"If you go purely on statistics he should not have got dropped when he did, he was our most consistent player at the top of the order and his previous couple of years were outstanding," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?