KCA plans inter-dist leauge to unearth young talent
Kochi: Aiming to identify cricketing talent at a young age, the Kerala Cricket Association (KCA) plans to start Inter-District league matches to pit young players against the senior fellows.
"The idea is to unearth talents like 18-year-old Sanju Samson, the new poster boy for Kerala cricket, recently appointed vice captain of U-19 team for the triangular series in Australia," T C Mathew, newly appointed President of the KCA told reporters here.
Samson was also adjudged `Best Young player of the season` in IPL 2013. Samson, who played for Rajasthan Royals, was the youngest to score a half century in the IPL match against Royal Challengers Bangalore this season.
He replied in the negative when asked if the issue relating to tainted pacer S Sreesanth from the state, was discussed at the meeting of the new office bearers. The matter was sub-judice as it is before court and BCCI has also suspended the player, he pointed out.
Mathew said it is mandatory for all district associations to have a team, the composition of which would be two players from Under 16, three players each from Under 19, Under 22 and Under 25.
The inter district league matches are likely to be held after the monsoon, he said.
There were also plans to start an academy at the Sacred Hearts college here as a continuation of the Cash Kerala project scheme. Trainees who have passed plus two can continue to get training, he said.
KCA wants to develop infrastructure facilities in all 14 districts by constructing stadiums, he said adding women coaches would also be appointed in all districts as a lot of girls are taking keen interest in the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why