Kenya still hopeful of a good show in World Cricket League
Nairobi: Kenya is hanging on to hope it will be able to turn around the tide and clinch their first victory in the International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cricket League Championship and Intercontinental Cup in Dubai next week.
Coach Robin Brown will lead Kenya in the campaign against Canada at the ICC Global Cricket Academy in Dubai, March 11, reports Xinhua.
Kenya are currently in second last spot with 22 points with no win and three losses from four matches. This is just one place above bottom placed Canada, who have only 10 points from as many matches.
"It is a good opportunity for the team to showcase their skills after a strong show in Uganda and Tanzania. We aim for a win in Dubai and see what happens thereafter," said Brown Sunday in Nairobi.
The team jetted out Sunday for Dubai. The ICC World Cricket League Championship was due to be played in Nairobi but was switched to Dubai amid fears of insecurity raising from the Kenya`s general elections, March 4.
The coach has since made three changes from the squad that played in Uganda. Emmanuel Bundi, Dominic Wesonga and Lucas Oluoch have been axed from the squad, which helped Kenya clinch the Pepsi African Twenty20 Continental title in Kampala, Uganda last week.
The trio were left behind as Brown showed his confidence in picking Shem Obado, Elijah Otieno and Duncan Allan to take over their positions.
Kenya will play Canada in four-dayer matches for both the ICC World Cricket League Championship. The two teams will thereafter play two one-day internationals at the same venue.
Captain Collins Obuya is certain Kenya will weather the storm from Canada and post its first victory and improve their rankings in the tournament.
"We are optimistic, especially after a morale boosting show in Kampala. The boys will stand out to be counted and edge out Canada. However, it will not be a simple game," Obuya said Sunday.
"We have not had a good run at the ICC World Cricket League Championship and we need to turn around the results this time round. The players are fully aware of what is needed of them. The team will be up to the task in Dubai," said Obuya.
Other teams taking part in the ICC World Cricket League Championship are Ireland, UAE, Namibia and Netherlands. Kenya lost against Namibia, UAE and Ireland but managed a draw with the Netherlands.
The ICC World Cricket League Championship is also being used as qualifiers for 2015 ICC World Cup to be co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand. Giants Ireland and Scotland are on top of the eight teams table. Only top two teams from the Cricket League will qualify automatically for the World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part VII
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- Modi govt will be known for fulfilling promises: LK Advani
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns