Kenyan captain Collins Obuya suspended for assaulting teammate
Nairobi: Kenyan cricket captain Collins Obuya will miss the two warm-up matches for the upcoming ICC World Twenty20 qualifying tournament after being suspended for assaulting a fellow player, officials reported on Saturday.
Obuya, a star of Kenya`s 2003 World Cup semi-final success, was involved in an altercation with team-mate Irfan Karim during a recent tour of Sri Lanka.
Karim, an opening batsman was also handed a one-match suspension by the Cricket Kenya disciplinary committee which met on Friday to deliberate on the case.
"Both players have been warned that any future misbehaviour will land a stiffer action being taken against them," the committee said in a statement.
Obuya will not play the two warm-ups against Namibia and Hongkong in the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The ICC World Twenty20 qualifying tournament featuring 16 teams including Kenya is scheduled to start on November 15.
Only six teams will qualify for the World Twenty20 championships in Bangladesh in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- SHOCKING! This film director wants to 'spit' on PV Sindhu's achievement in Rio Olympics
- Prakash Javadekar commits a blooper, says Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel, Subhas Chandra Bose were hanged
- Absconding rape accused AISA leader Anmol Ratan to apply for anticipatory bail
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!