Kenyan captain Collins Obuya suspended for assaulting teammate
Nairobi: Kenyan cricket captain Collins Obuya will miss the two warm-up matches for the upcoming ICC World Twenty20 qualifying tournament after being suspended for assaulting a fellow player, officials reported on Saturday.
Obuya, a star of Kenya`s 2003 World Cup semi-final success, was involved in an altercation with team-mate Irfan Karim during a recent tour of Sri Lanka.
Karim, an opening batsman was also handed a one-match suspension by the Cricket Kenya disciplinary committee which met on Friday to deliberate on the case.
"Both players have been warned that any future misbehaviour will land a stiffer action being taken against them," the committee said in a statement.
Obuya will not play the two warm-ups against Namibia and Hongkong in the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The ICC World Twenty20 qualifying tournament featuring 16 teams including Kenya is scheduled to start on November 15.
Only six teams will qualify for the World Twenty20 championships in Bangladesh in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees