Kevin Pietersen not given central contract for 2012-13 by ECB
London: The England and Wales Cricket Board has not included Kevin Pietersen’s name in the list of players who have been given a central contract for the 2012-13 season.
The batsman is out of favour following a dispute over the alleged content of text messages he sent to the members of the South Africa squad during the recent Test series, with his future still no clearer despite the retirement of captain Andrew Strauss.
The ECB, who have issued 10 full-time and four incremental contracts, did add a caveat by saying “discussions are ongoing and remain private” with the 32-year-old but, as things stand, he will not be a contracted player in an Ashes year.
If the ECB presses ahead therefore with plans to name a squad next Thursday to undertake the four-Test tour of India under Alastair Cook, time is short for Pietersen’s differences with his employers to be settled, The Telegraph reports.
ECB have also awarded four incremental contracts to Jonny Bairstow, Ravi Bopara, Craig Kieswetter and Graham Onions.
National selector Geoff Miller made special mention of Onions, awarded an increment contract after his return from a career-threatening back injury - even though he has played just one Test since his comeback.
List of England and Wales Cricket Board centrally contracted players for the 2012-13 season.
James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Alastair Cook (Essex), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Matt Prior (Sussex), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi