Kevin Pietersen’s possible return to England team provokes ‘divergent views’ in cricket fraternity
London: Cricket players have clashed over the issue of whether or not controversial cricketer Kevin Pietersen should be allowed to rejoin the England team in the wake of Andrew Strauss`s retirement from the sport.
English cricketer Dominic Cork has questioned KP’s influence in Strauss’s sudden decision.
“There is only one man to blame for the whole situation that has escalated, and that is Kevin Pietersen. What has happened has caused Strauss to question himself, and that is a shame, because he had got a long time left in his role as England captain,” the Daily Star quoted Cork, as saying.
“Whoever you are as an individual, when you take criticism as Strauss has done from a fellow player, it hurts. He is a principled man who stands by his word and he wants integrity and honesty. He probably feels like he is to blame for it and that is wrong,” he added.
Pietersen stirred up controversy after he sent “provocative” texts to South Africa players and now has much to do to restore his reputation in the England dressing room.
However, another ex-England player Marcus Trescothick was more supportive of Pietersen and wanted to see his name back in the team as quickly as possible.
“It would be the best situation for all if they can sort it out, get it resolved and put to bed as everyone wants to see Kevin playing for England and doing well,” Trescothick said.
“He is a joy to watch, he scored a hundred against us last week and it was a pleasure to see. England need their best players back if we are going to get back up to number one,” he added.
Strauss’s successor as Test captain, Alastair Cook, was concentrating on his one-day duty as he prepared to lead his side into today’s clash with South Africa at Lord’s, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Niti Aayog to hold consultations today with states on 15-year vision document
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel, 3 officials convicted; quantum of sentence to be declared today
- Alarm bells for Nawaz Sharif! Huge protests rock PoK, locals allege ISI rigged polls in favour of PML(N)
- Chill guys! There's still time for Deepika Padukone, Fawad Khan film
- Rio Olympics 2016: Narsingh Yadav's fate hangs in balance as NADA takes final decision today