Kevin Pietersen’s possible return to England team provokes ‘divergent views’ in cricket fraternity
London: Cricket players have clashed over the issue of whether or not controversial cricketer Kevin Pietersen should be allowed to rejoin the England team in the wake of Andrew Strauss`s retirement from the sport.
English cricketer Dominic Cork has questioned KP’s influence in Strauss’s sudden decision.
“There is only one man to blame for the whole situation that has escalated, and that is Kevin Pietersen. What has happened has caused Strauss to question himself, and that is a shame, because he had got a long time left in his role as England captain,” the Daily Star quoted Cork, as saying.
“Whoever you are as an individual, when you take criticism as Strauss has done from a fellow player, it hurts. He is a principled man who stands by his word and he wants integrity and honesty. He probably feels like he is to blame for it and that is wrong,” he added.
Pietersen stirred up controversy after he sent “provocative” texts to South Africa players and now has much to do to restore his reputation in the England dressing room.
However, another ex-England player Marcus Trescothick was more supportive of Pietersen and wanted to see his name back in the team as quickly as possible.
“It would be the best situation for all if they can sort it out, get it resolved and put to bed as everyone wants to see Kevin playing for England and doing well,” Trescothick said.
“He is a joy to watch, he scored a hundred against us last week and it was a pleasure to see. England need their best players back if we are going to get back up to number one,” he added.
Strauss’s successor as Test captain, Alastair Cook, was concentrating on his one-day duty as he prepared to lead his side into today’s clash with South Africa at Lord’s, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire