Key bookie Chandresh Jain held in IPL-6 spot fixing case
Mumbai: A bookie alleged to be a `key` person was arrested on Thursday, taking the number of those held in connection with the IPL betting case until now to 22, the police said.
Chandresh Jain alias `Jupiter` was arrested today after he was brought to the city on a transit remand, since he was in the custody of the Delhi police, which had registered the IPL spot fixing case during its sixth season, an official said.
`Jupiter` was in touch with Pakistani bookies via conference calls using four out of the 30 telephone lines, allegedly facilitated by one Ramesh Vyas who has been arrested, the official said.
"He was constantly in touch with Shobhan Mehta, a key bookie who has been arrested and the Jaipur brothers who are wanted by the police. He also placed bets during the IPL 6 season," the official said.
With Jupiter`s arrest, the number of those arrested in the IPL betting case so far has gone up to 22, including Ramesh Vyas, Ashok Vyas and Pandurang Kadam, among others.
After Ramesh Vyas`s arrest in May, the police had recovered 92 mobile phones, 18 SIM cards, a laptop among other equipment. Thirty of these phones were used to facilitate contacts with bookies in India, Pakistan and Dubai through conference calls made by Vyas.
Chennai Super Kings owner Gurunath Meiyappan, who is the son-in-law of N Srinivasan who had stepped aside as BCCI president and Bollywood actor Vindu Dara Singh were also arrested in the case and are currently out on bail.
The Delhi Police had registered the case and filed a chargesheet naming Rajasthan Royals players S Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan, among 39 others as accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details