Khawaja facing danger of losing Ashes berth to ‘surprise choice’ Marsh
Sydney: Australian batsman Usman Khawaja is reportedly facing the danger of being swapped from a potential Ashes berth by the selectors in favour of his team-mate Shaun Marsh.
Khawaja, who plays in the domestic Queensland Bulls team, is far from being the flavour of the month with Australian selectors, who had reservations about him even before he was one of four players axed for a Test in India for disciplinary reasons, News.com.au reports.
According to the report, another reason for the doubt over Khawaja`s Ashes selection may be that he had showed a lack of performance in last summer`s top-level cricket, when he spent much of the season as a travelling Australian reserve.
The report said that although the left-handed Marsh, playing for Western Australia, is a surprise selection as he had averaged just 19 in the Sheffield Shield last season, his impressive form in the Big Bash, combined with promising signs of improvement late in the Shield season, may have made him a favourite with the selectors.
The report added that the fact that both Khawaja and Marsh have a 50-50 chance for the Ashes is another wake-up call to Khawaja, who several years ago looked to be the next big thing.
Australia`s Ashes squad could be named as soon as this week and if Khawaja`s name is not read out, it will be back to square one for the former NSW batsman, who came to Queensland to resurrect his career, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145