Kirsten happy with the way things went in drawn Oz Test series
Johannesburg: South African coach Gary Kirsten insists the just concluded two-Test series with Australia was a very competitive one, as both the teams were constantly trying to gain a commanding position.
South Africa had won the first Test in Cape Town by eight wickets, but Australia bounced back to win the second Test in Johannesburg by two wickets and level the series 1-1.
“It was one of those series where both sides let it slip and then pulled it back brilliantly. There were times when we could have kept up our concentration levels for longer periods and capitalised on a really good position, but the Aussies had situations like that as well,” a website quoted Kirsten, as saying.
“I’m generally happy with the way things went. They gave 100 percent and, from a coaching perspective, that’s all I ever ask for and I think it was a fantastic Test series,” he added.
The drawn series means that South Africa slips to third spot on the ICC Test Championship table.
The Proteas had been ranked second, but the result against the lower ranked Australia meant it lost one ratings point and fell below India, which moves up to second place on the ladder.
Meanwhile, Australia’s two-wicket victory in Johannesburg has earned it a point and it now sits 11 ratings points behind South Africa, in fourth place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter