Kirsten keen to rope in Rhodes, Upton
Johannesburg: Former India coach Gary Kirsten is in the hunt for a top-class support staff for the South African team and is keen to rope in mental conditioning expert Paddy Upton and legendary fielder Jonty Rhodes.
Kirsten, who was appointed as the new Proteas coach last week, said he would look to employ his former teammate and fielding star Rhodes and world renowned sports psychologist Upton, who was with him in the coaching staff of the World Cup winning Indian team.
41-year-old Rhodes has been the Proteas` fielding coach in the past. He was also used by Kenya in this role at the recent World Cup besides being the fielding coach of the IPL team Mumbai Indians.
Russel Domingo has already been appointed as Kirsten`s assistant with Allan Donald being chosen to take charge of the bowlers.
"I believe there is enough knowledge and skill within the side not to employ another person permanently, but we will use so called specialists in specific areas," said Kirsten.
"Jonty is definitely part of our plans - and we could use him as a consultant if our fielding needs attention," he was quoted as saying by a website.
"The same applies for Paddy. I would also really like to use him on a part-time basis."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- India thump Pakistan to enter final of Asian Snooker team championship
- Tata Steel says yet to shortlist bidder for UK plant
- Aww! Here's a sweet gesture by Alia Bhatt towards mom Soni Razdan – Check out
- Good news! EPFO finally gets govt nod to raise insurance cover of subscribers to Rs 6 lakh
- Babies affected by Zika prone to eye damage: Research