Kiwi speedster Martin tips Sri Lanka’s Kulasekara to get better of Hughes in Hobart
Sydney: New Zealand fast bowler Chris Martin, who has tormented Phillip Hughes in the past, believes Sri Lankan fast bowler Nuwan Kulasekara possesses the quality in him to regenerate the cuts that led to the Australian left-hander`s nightmarish Test axing in Hobart last summer. Martin has outlined the no-frills blueprint that saw him claim Hughes`s scalp on four consecutive occasions and send the former New South Wales batsman`s career into a tailspin. In a freakish chain of dismissals, Martin had Hughes caught by Martin Guptill four times in the cordon for scores of 10, 7, 4 and 20, forcing the pint-sized opener`s dumping from the Test side.
The recalled Hughes now has a shot at making amends in the first Test against Sri Lanka, starting Friday, but Martin yesterday recounted the simple methodology that exposed the 24-year-old and inspired New Zealand`s famous seven-run victory in Hobart. “I was just bowling the same ball each time and he kept finding a way to nick it to the cordon. His recollections of his dismissals would be nightmarish, but we tried to keep it simple,” News.com.au quoted Martin, as saying.
“To be honest, I felt a bit sorry for Phil Hughes in Hobart because a lot of the focus was that he kept nicking off and was under pressure for his spot. In those situations, you never like seeing a guy playing for his career,” he added. “I think Hughes has to watch out for that Kulasekara. He bowls a good outswinger to the left-hander so that could test him.” he said. Martin added: “The Sri Lankan attack have parallels to our (New Zealand`s) bowlers. If they turn up with some very simple plans and execute them, the Hobart wicket will definitely help them, it did for us.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack