Kiwis ‘hurting’ after first innings ignominy in Cape Town: McCullum
Wellington: New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum has said every single player in the Kiwi dressing room is hurting after the whole team was dismissed for a measly 45 in the first innings within the opening day session of the Newlands Test against South Africa.
McCullum described the atmosphere in the dressing room as somber, adding the players were really hurt after their embarrassing surrender against the Proteas, Stuff.co.nz reports.
McCullum said the Kiwis had high hopes coming into the first Test match and they wanted to start well against the Proteas.
The skipper said their performance has let their fans down and that is something, which adds to the immense pain.
McCullum`s first big decision of the day returned to haunt him, as he decided to first on winning the toss and was confident he`d got it right.
However, McCullum tried to justify his decision to bat first, saying that if Kiwis could have played the first session well, they might have been in a better position.
McCullum and his fellow batsmen had no answer to a masterful display of seam bowling by Vernon Philander (5-7) who also terrorized them in the home series in March.
The skipper, who faced 19 balls for seven, said it was a mix of poor batting and excellent bowling, as good a spell as you`ll see in test cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark