Kiwis warn Root not to get carried away by adulation
London: Upcoming England batsman Joe Root has been warned to expect a fiery attack by the New Zealand side in the middle as they look to ruin his first homecoming at Headingley.
Although Root is out to etch his name into Yorkshire cricketing folklore on his debut Test, however, Kiwi pace bowler Neil Wagner is of the opinion that all the adulation and familiarity of home could backfire on the youngster since he will be so desperate to do well.
Stating that it is yet to be seen whether Root can come out of the starry-eyed hopes of playing in his home ground and focus on business, Wagner said that although the batsman is young and a top-class performer, the fact that he will be playing at Headingley which was his dream for a long time will definitely prey on the back of his mind.
According to Wagner, although such a factor can motivate a player to do better, however, the pressure and the expectations sometimes come to the forefront and adversely affect his performance, adding that as a bowling unit, the New Zealand pacers will try to get under his skin to make him stumble and lose points.
However, Root seemed confident about making a good performance at Headingley, saying that it is home ground, adding that the opportunity to play, especially in an international game, is something that spurs him on to make his childhood dream a reality.
Stating that he had grown up watching cricket at Headingley, Root said that he has got close connections to the place, adding that he is trying to move in the footsteps of great players like Darren Lehmann, Anthony McGrath and Jacques Rudolph, whom he had often watched playing at the place in county matches.
Root also said that watching Indian maestro Sachin Tendulkar playing for county matches from the Yorkshire side first inspired him to wish that one day he be out in the middle and not in the stands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'