Kiwis win ODI series against England on back of Guptill`s bludgeoning 189
London: New Zealand batsman Martin Guptill led his team to victory in the second One Day International (ODI) against England, thereby winning the series against the hosts by taking an unbeatable 2-0 lead.
England under Captain Alstair Cook has lost its first series in four years.
England was all out for 273 in 44.1 overs after New Zealand plundered 359 runs for 3 wickets off their 50 overs.
Opening batsman Guptill made a record 189 not out and guided his team to a extraordinary 86 run victory in Southampton.
Cook admitted that it was the worst one-day performance by saying that New Zealand earned the right to do some damage by holding wickets in hand and gave full credit to Guptill, saying that he had put in a very special effort as it was a tough day.
Cook added that losing bowlers of the quality of Stuart Broad and Steven Finn left a hole but definitely gave an opportunity for other players to show their capabilities.
Cook also expressed his concern that the standards that they have played to were not good enough.
England needed some home-grown player to play big, but apart from right-handed batsman Jonathan Trott, none of their batsmen could turn a 20 or 30 runs into 60 or 70 runs while the day remained tailor-made for Guptill who became the first New Zealander to reach the highest score in ODI cricket.
Stating that it feels very special to get the record, Guptill said that he was happy to be able to score back to back hundreds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM