KKR take on Somerset in revenge match of Champions League
Hyderabad: Kolkata Knight Riders will have revenge on mind when they take on Somerset in their opening Group match of the Champions League Twenty20 tournament on Sunday.
During their last encounter on Wednesday, which was a qualifying match for the main event, Kolkata failed to get past Somerset but they still managed to make the main tournament on the basis of a better run rate.
But come Sunday, the Shah Rukh Khan-owned outfit will try to settle scores with the English club, which had gone into the clash as underdogs but managed to beat the high-profile Kolkata side by 11 runs.
Kolkata are expected to have their regular captain Gautam Gambhir back in the mix after he missed the qualifiers due to a concussion he picked up during India`s tour of England.
Led by South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis in Gambhir`s absence, Kolkata Knight Riders had a difficult time on the field as none of their batsmen managed to convert good starts.
While Ryan ten Doeschate and Manoj Tiwari showed spark, big names such as Yusuf Pathan and Kallis himself failed with the bat. Manvinder Bisla too couldn`t do much and it put pressure on the middle-order.
Among the bowlers, Australian speedster Brett Lee and youngster Jaidev Unadkat claimed a couple of wickets but they were not threatening enough to take the team to victory in qualifying match.
Spinners Iqbal Abdulla, Shakib Al Hasan and part-time tweaker Pathan too failed to impress and could not claim a single wicket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM