KKR take on Somerset in revenge match of Champions League
Hyderabad: Kolkata Knight Riders will have revenge on mind when they take on Somerset in their opening Group match of the Champions League Twenty20 tournament on Sunday.
During their last encounter on Wednesday, which was a qualifying match for the main event, Kolkata failed to get past Somerset but they still managed to make the main tournament on the basis of a better run rate.
But come Sunday, the Shah Rukh Khan-owned outfit will try to settle scores with the English club, which had gone into the clash as underdogs but managed to beat the high-profile Kolkata side by 11 runs.
Kolkata are expected to have their regular captain Gautam Gambhir back in the mix after he missed the qualifiers due to a concussion he picked up during India`s tour of England.
Led by South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis in Gambhir`s absence, Kolkata Knight Riders had a difficult time on the field as none of their batsmen managed to convert good starts.
While Ryan ten Doeschate and Manoj Tiwari showed spark, big names such as Yusuf Pathan and Kallis himself failed with the bat. Manvinder Bisla too couldn`t do much and it put pressure on the middle-order.
Among the bowlers, Australian speedster Brett Lee and youngster Jaidev Unadkat claimed a couple of wickets but they were not threatening enough to take the team to victory in qualifying match.
Spinners Iqbal Abdulla, Shakib Al Hasan and part-time tweaker Pathan too failed to impress and could not claim a single wicket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand