Knee problems rule Herath out ODI series against Pakistan
Colombo: Sri Lanka left-arm spinner Rangana Herath has been ruled out of the remainder of the five-match one-day cricket series against Pakistan because of continuing problems with his knees.
Herath had keyhole surgery on his knees after the home series against England in February and was fit enough to play in the first two ODIs against Pakistan in Pallakele.
However during the second ODI, which Sri Lanka won by 76 runs to level the series one-all, Herath struggled with his fielding although he bowled his full quota of 10 overs and conceded only 37 runs.
“Bowling was no problem, but he was struggling a little bit while fielding. After speaking to the selectors and the medical guys we felt that it`s best that he gets some rest before the test series because playing three tests is going to be a long series for him,” said captain Mahela Jayawardene.
Another left-arm spinner, Sajeewa Weerakoon, who will make his ODI debut at the age of 34, will replace Herath.
The third ODI is in Colombo on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert