Knee problems rule Herath out ODI series against Pakistan
Colombo: Sri Lanka left-arm spinner Rangana Herath has been ruled out of the remainder of the five-match one-day cricket series against Pakistan because of continuing problems with his knees.
Herath had keyhole surgery on his knees after the home series against England in February and was fit enough to play in the first two ODIs against Pakistan in Pallakele.
However during the second ODI, which Sri Lanka won by 76 runs to level the series one-all, Herath struggled with his fielding although he bowled his full quota of 10 overs and conceded only 37 runs.
“Bowling was no problem, but he was struggling a little bit while fielding. After speaking to the selectors and the medical guys we felt that it`s best that he gets some rest before the test series because playing three tests is going to be a long series for him,” said captain Mahela Jayawardene.
Another left-arm spinner, Sajeewa Weerakoon, who will make his ODI debut at the age of 34, will replace Herath.
The third ODI is in Colombo on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners
- Political novice Gudni Johannesson elected Iceland president amid football fever