Kohli reaches career-best ranking of 8th in Tests
Dubai: Owing to his decent performance in the recently-concluded two-Test series against New Zealand, India batsman Virat Kohli rose to his career-best eighth position in the latest ICC Test rankings issued here on Monday.
Kohli, who made 214 runs in four innings in New Zealand, jumped a place to be at eighth with 784 ranking points.
Cheteshwar Pujara is still the highest ranked Indian at seventh position in the batsmen`s list, which is headed by South Africa`s AB de Villiers.
In the bowlers` table, off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has climbed up a spot to be the highest-ranked Indian Test bowler at ninth place.
Ashwin, meanwhile, maintained his top position in the player rankings for Test all-rounders.
Meanwhile, India`s second position in Test rankings is threatened by Australia, who need just a draw against South Africa in the ongoing Test series to move ahead.
A two-Test series loss has resulted in India slipping from 117 ratings points to 112, which means that they are ahead of Australia by just one rating point.
The Aussies now have a great opportunity of finishing ahead of India on the table before the April 1 cut-off date.
South Africa are already guaranteed the number-one position at cut-off date, and will retain the mace and will also collect a cheque of USD 450,000.
The side that finishes second will pocket USD 350,000, while USD 250,000 will go to the third-ranked team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre