Kolkata Police not to provide security at Eden Gardens
Kolkata: Kolkata Police on Thursday put the Cricket Association of Bengal in danger of losing its upcoming international matches, after they cited that providing adequate security is a matter of concern due to staff shortage.
With their jurisdiction set to extend from September 1, Kolkata Police told CAB that they cannot afford to provide adequate security for the upcoming Champions League Twenty20 and India-England matches, which are clashing with the festive season of Durga Puja and Diwali.
"The jurisdiction of Kolakta Police would be extended to the municipal corporation limits from September 1. They told us that their manpower, however, would remain the same.”
"Hence, the police cannot afford to provide extra security during the matches scheduled during Durga Puja and Diwali," CAB joint secretary Biswarup Dey said after a meeting with Kolkata Police.
"The restructuring will take about three years` time, Kolkata Police said. Does that mean Eden Gardens will not have any match during that time?" Dey asked.
The Eden Gardens, which lost out on India`s only World Cup match earlier this year because of lack of preparation, has a packed calendar ahead, beginning with six matches of Champions League T20 from September 25-October 1.
It will then host an ODI (October 25) and a T20 (October 29) in the upcoming England series.
Of the six CLT20 matches, two are scheduled on the same day - October 1 - which is clashing with Durga Puja.
The police have also raised objection on India vs England ODI on Diwali-eve.
Incidentally, the Indian Cricket Board has already rescheduled the fifth and final one-dayer, which was originally slated for October 26.
There is, however, still a ray of hope as Kolkata Police are yet to take a final call.
"If they tell us in writing that they cannot provide security, than we will knock the chief minister`s door. It will really be embarrassing if we lose the matches because of security concerns," Dey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31